Friday, November 1, 2013

"Prethink" - Yah, It's a Word

I was a pretty active Toastmaster a couple of years ago.

First off, what a fantastic organization -> I'm not going to do my self-improvement sales pitch right now, but it's coming.

In Toastmasters, members prepare and give speeches in order to further our public speaking skills. A member of the audience is assigned to critique the speech on a number of points, one of them being grammar.

After one of my speeches, the person assigned to giving me feedback mentioned that I had used the word "prethink". Their point was that this was in fact not a word and I should find another way to say what I meant. Let me dispute this.

I believe that "prethink" is a word with a meaning that is applicable and critical to numerous aspects of our lives. Prethink means to plan in response to potential ad-hoc conversations or scenarios. An example would be: "I have a call with so-and-so in 10 minutes. How should I respond if they ask me about that issue they were concerned with?". 

You may argue that "Plan" is the word for this, but I see this as a much more fluid and on-the-fly skill. It's about building a short-term strategy for an important interaction. "Planning" is good, but I want to use it for more brick&mortar style decisions. Just like saying "cloud" instead of "time-sharing", prethink conveys a different energy than plan.

What do you think?
Is this a term that should make it into every-day use?

~Brian

1 comment:

Oceana said...

How about pro-activate? ;-)
What impresses me is the proactive approach you take to envision what's coming and prepare in advance. This reflects your proactive personality, which is, in my opinion, the sign of a true leader.