Saturday, October 19, 2013

Editorial: Ties Suck (but you knew that)

The WSJ got me all fired up this AM with an article The Tie is Dead (Long Live the Tie).
I'm on the "No Tie" bandwagon and Richard Branson seems to be leading the parade.

Branson is famously anti-tie.
There are stories of him using scissors to cut the tie off of unsuspecting employees that broke his reverse dress code.
I don't think I have ever seen a picture of Branson with a tie.
So, this defeats the idea that a tie is a necessary accessory for
success in business.

But is there other data to more firmly indicate the direction of menswear in the new millennia? Yes
The WSJ article showed that by 2008 tie sales had dropped 92%. This is a key indicator, but it isn't a fun one. I think I have better and more conclusive proof that we can hold farewell party for this antiquated accoutrement. Let me lay out my case.

  1.  Bogie looked great in a hat. He was what cool was. To be cool in his era, you wore a hat.
  2. Kennedy updated menswear style by breaking the hat tradition. Automakers even lowered car tops, you couldn't wear a Bogie style hat now if you wanted to.
Now lets look at our often tieless current president.
The last G8 Summit and this summer's meeting with President Xi Jinping of China showed world leaders sans tie. Is this the repeat of Kennedy's influence on men's hats? I think so. But there is one trap that needs to be avoided. Don Draper!



Mad Men is super popular. It is a great show and I'm addicted to it. I think Don has an influence on us all. Just like Bogie, he is super cool (yes, lots of bad traits that make me cringe, but still super cool).
Are we strong enough to resist the temptation to revert to this look? I think so.

I've seen my "trying to by hip" friends attempt the hat. Reaction: nope, you can't pull off the Bogie look in 2010. That hat doesn't go well with cargos at all :) LOL. So even though Draper may tempt a few of us to bring back this office formal look the tide is too strong against it. Thanks Mr. President.

As a last word though, is this Invisi-tie trend completely attributable to Mr. Branson and Mr. Obama?
Nah. It started with us tech guys.

Now Zuckerberg is the most well-known example with his statement making hoodie, but he wasn't the first. Lets say that the dotcom bubble was the fuse.

You can't wear a tie with Birkenstock's, and lots of Birks were sold to software engineers in 1999. This type of thing led to casual Friday for the entire business community.

Technology has changed the world and has even influenced our president to solidify the tie-less trend.

AND there is something that you can do to help!
Ahem, change your LinkedIn profile picture.
If you're wearing a tie, get a new shot. You still look great (probably better) just minus the tie.

Sorry Brooks Bros., you'll just have to sell more socks.

1 comment:

Oceana said...

VERY entertaining! You've really done your research here and you make excellent points. I love the pictures! Could you follow up on this with an anti-pantyhose article please? ;-)