Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Set the Stage

I'm in a lot of meetings a day. The best thing for my quality of life so far has been the wireless headset that I have. After all that coffee, I can pace around and work some of that energy off. But sometimes my pacing has a tinge of frustration as its root. "Whats this meeting about?"

I get invited to many meetings and I suspect that sometimes it is out of protocol. So bring me up to speed. I try to do that when I know someone is in my meeting that hasn't been involved in the topic being discussed. It really is simple. Take 30 - 45 seconds at the beginning of the meeting to lay out the goals for the a lotted time. This will then allow all participants to understand why they are they, how they can contribute and perhaps be more willing to take on action items.

Do you think it is possible people don't explain the goals of the meeting up-front because they don't have any goals for the meeting? If this is the case, give everyone their hour back. I've posted before on running efficient meetings and I think this is a good follow up.

Why are we here?

Good luck,
Brian
http://atomictower.com - Web Reporting Engine

No comments: